Wednesday, April 7, 2010

ING New York City Marathon Here I Come!

I'm the really fast looking one just so you know.
Just wanted to broadcast a bit of exciting news.  I put in for the ING New York City Marathon back in January.  I was sitting in one of my MBA classes paying my utmost full attention to the subject of Managerial Accounting (or was it Global Business Negotiations....?  You get the picture) and feeling unmotivated and out of shape.  I enjoy running but have found it very hard to find the time, what with being in a full time, competitive MBA program, employed full time, and all the other projects I find myself diverted by.  I needed a push - to run farther than a paltry five miler.  Plus I've decided, I have absolutely no self control when it comes to eating so if I want to be a little less shapely it will have to be due to increased running not starving.  Lastly, my brain likes it - its much cheaper than therapy.

I decided to take the plunge and put my name into the hat.  From what I could tell I had a one in three chance of getting in.  I also convinced my BFF to take the plunge as well.  Misery loves company.  It's been a few years since I've run a full marathon so I thought it would be nice to have someone in the trenches with me this time.  Plus she's sassy, stylish, and also likes to eat.  So the NYC Marathon would be a perfect venue for us together (her sassiness would entertain me of course during the race.)

So today was the big day of finding out if I would get the self inflicted kick in the butt to run.  Part of me was hoping for no - because - where on earth am I going to find time?  But...I GOT IN!!!   So, I am ecstatic to visit New York at least twice in one year (I'll also be there at the end of this month - eating it up!) and I have an excuse to eat even more!

Also, on a side note - sadly, my friend did not get in.  Three of us registered and joined the New York Road Runner's (NYRR) in hopes that it might bolster our chances.  One of us got in.  So, while we might feel cooler to be part of an awesome running club - it did not seem to help the odds.   Just an FYI in case you were going to try the same thing.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about the sassy and stylish part, but yes, I do like to eat. You're going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puh-lease, Dianne. We all know I'm the sassy stylish one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon, I was thinking you were those things and your food pictures prove the eating part - but then I revisited the mankini pictures and stylish was taken off the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it goes well. It's obviously too late for me to put my hat in the ring but maybe 2011?

    ReplyDelete