Friday, April 9, 2010

Easter With My Peeps, Yo!

Them Be Fightin' Words!
Okay, so it's not exactly Easter anymore.  Your point?  You think I live within the restrictions the world sets?  Just for that, I'm having breakfast for dinner - booyah - now that' living on the edge! 

After reading the different ideas and uses for Peeps on my fave food blog Serious Eats I decided to take action and do my own creative thing.  Had I planned further in advance than five minutes and chosen not to sleep in - this could've been much more awesome.  But, I figured who cares - I'm expressing myself.

Here goes:

Mud Wresting Peeps Boston Cream Pie
I found this really fun website, Foodista.com  and thought I'd try out a recipe from it.  It's kind of like Wikipedia but for food - at least in that people can edit the entries.  I found this recipe and decided to give it a go. 

I'm going to put this out there in case you dare to follow my lead and try this out.  The person who wrote this either had ADD or was still hungover because they missed a few things.  And not that it would have been hard to figure out but because I have ADD (well, I don't know if I really do but I figure most of us do at this point) I made a few of my own goofs.

Okay, we're really starting this time.  I'm going to cheat and copy the recipe over (and maybe add some commentary).

Step 1: In large bowl, let eggs warm at room temperature (I'd say an hour). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. At medium speed, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until very thick and light, about 5 minutes.



Step 2:  Meanwhile, sift flour with baking powder and salt. In measuring cup, combine 1/4 cup water (the ingredient list says nothing about water so I thought they must have meant milk - I've never added lemon juice to water - but I have to milk to substitute for buttermilk.  I also made the jolly mistake of having all 1 1/2 cups of milk measured out and thought it went here.  Fortunately I caught myself at 1/4 c - and was to lazy/cheap/curious to go back), 1 teaspoon vanilla and lemon juice.


Blend flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, into egg mixture, alternately with water mixture. Beat 1 minute. Turn into 2 greased 9 inch layer pans, dividing evenly. Bake 25 minutes, until surface springs back when pressed with fingertip. Invert pans, setting rims on 2 other pans(I broke the rules here and used a cooling rack, also make sure to do this step - it will not be so easy to get cake out if you don't invert - turn upside down if you're not into fancy words). Cool 1 hour (or for however much time you have, I was running behind and let it cool for 20 minutes).






Step 3:  Make Filling: Make pudding as label directs, reducing milk to 1 1/2 cups; add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool; refrigerate, with sheet of waxed paper (I did not do the wax papered thing - its pudding!  Pretty darn hard to mess up, which is why you should love it - also why you should use instant) placed directly on surface, several hours.
 

Step 4:  Make Glaze: In small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Remove from heat; add sugar and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, mixing until smooth. Stir in 2 1/2-3 tablespoons hot water (don't go crazy with the water - it'll thin quickly), 1 teaspoon at a time, until glaze is of pouring consistency.



To Assemble: On cake plate, put cake layers together with filling; pour glaze over top, letting it run down sides. Refrigerate - about 1/2 hour.

I'm Bananas!



Back to me now.  First off, the author of this recipe also does not know how to add vanilla or pudding counts if you actually paid attention to the recipe (I didn't until I was knee deep).  Also, I think it should sit longer than 30 minutes.  The best Boston Cream Pies are super moist and delicious - and it helps if you let everything sit for awhile.  I actually don't think it would hurt to cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight.  Make sure not to over bake your cakes - depending on where you live - your bake time may vary.  Watch your cakes like a hawk at the end. 

Now for the fun part!

My husband likes Ultimate Fighting (the UFC) and all that other wrestling, fighting crap.  I make him turn if off when I'm in the room.  But in the spirit of Easter (and an excuse to do something stupid/fun) I decided to indulge him.  Mud Wrestling is classier, don't you think?

We Be Mud Wranglin' Peeps
How freaking awesome am I?  Totally am.  Too bad it didn't taste anything like the most amazing Boston Cream Pie - from Boston.  It was okay - but I don't settle for okay if I'm putting effort in.  I'm using a different recipe next time.  Maybe from someone who doesn't have ADD or a hangover.

2 comments:

  1. "How freaking awesome am I? Totally am."

    You come by it naturally. And I love the mud wrestling take--your other half should enjoy it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh this amazing. I mean, this post is amazing, but this whole blog is...exactly what I need more of in my life. You cook with Peeps. You live on the edge. You inspire the masses.

    ReplyDelete