Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mistakes I've Made: Ben's Pizza on MacDougal


Ben's Pizzeria on MacDougal


I realize I'm opening myself up here by entitling this post, "Mistakes I've Made," but it just fits.

Pizza Box, Ben's Pizza, 123 MacDougal Street


When I lived in New York before I spent most of my time in Greenwich Village.  I settled on Joe's as my favorite place for a NY slice and didn't continue my search.  This time out here I have a list (which grows by the day) of places I must try.  Ben's Pizza on MacDougal was on this list.  As some consider Ben's a rival of Joe's I had some expectations.  When I walked past Washington Square and arrived I had a deja vu moment.  I realized I had eaten here before.  That pretty much summed it up right there.  Not memorable.

I ordered a plain slice and a white slice.  Here they are...

Ben's Pizza on MacDougal White Slice and Plain Slice

They look decent from afar albeit the crust looks a little flat.

I'm not going to say they were horrible but if you're living in New York City and have pizza that actually qualifies as good then it kind of makes you want to stop eating.  The cheese was far too thick on both slices.  The ricotta on the white pie was ridiculous.  While they had heated both slices before handing them to me (which is key to having a good crisp, gooey slice) they cheese was still lukewarm.  I'm sorry to say as a sometimes cheap person that I threw the pizza away after trying it.  I thought about finding someone to give it to - but anyone in New York would have known better than to take these slices off my hands.



I'm told that this is good pizza when you're drunk.  I guess I'll never know...

Ben's Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. UGH. what a bummer. we forget how lucky we are to have so much amazing food in this city, and it slaps us in the face when we actually have a bad meal! poop. koronet on 110thish is also really good pizza when you're drunk. i had it sober once and that was a HUGE mistake i made.

    ReplyDelete