Monday, July 19, 2010

Life Changing Salted Caramel Sauce

Freaking Awesome Salted Caramel Sauce Swimming Atop Ice Cream from Guerrilla Ice Cream

Holy freaking crap.  I can't help it.  This sauce is that freaking good.  My palate is blown - in a really, really good way.

Tomorrow at the SE office we are conducting a microwave popcorn taste test.  We put feelers out to our community about their thoughts and tomorrow we will take yet another one for the team and subject ourselves to a ridiculous amount of food in a short period of time.  As often is the case, we have an extra person or two that comes in on these marathon taste tests.  This time it is someone bringing ice cream.

Naturally, I googled popcorn ice cream as soon as I heard.  And this is what popped up.  I knew what I had to do.

I stopped at Whole Foods on my way home and picked up the ingredients which was a sacrifice in itself.  The Whole Foods @ Union Square if freakin' nuts.  Seriously people?  It's not that amazing of a store.  Please, disperse to your own local stores.  Thank you!

Let the cooking commence!

Here's what you'll need:

2 c sugar
1 2/3 c heavy cream
2 tbsp salted butter
1/4 tsp fleur de sel or coarse sea salt


I want to say this isn't difficult to make - which is true.  But if you're timid in the kitchen this may not be for you.

Step 1:

Add sugar to heavy cast iron pan.  I only have one temperature setting on my stove in New York, so high heat it was.  The point is to melt your sugar - so it's all good.


When it begins to brown (see above)  gently move the sugar around so that the unmelted sugar gets its chance to melt too.  You'll have some chunks but if you're patient, they'll melt.  Stir gently.


The directions said the caramel would smoke and not to worry.  I may have heeded that advice a little too closely.  Fortunately, the smoke alarm did not go off and my apartment aired out fairly quickly.

Take two on the sugar.  (at least it was something I had extra of)

Step 2:

So, pretending that my caramel was perfect (which it was the second time around), once it has a smooth and even texture, remove it from the heat.  Add about a quarter of the cream while whisking quickly.  It'll bubble up pretty good so you may get a splash or two.  Just be very, very careful.  I'm pretty sure this would hurt like the dickens if you got it on yourself.



Continue to incorporate the cream until the 1 2/3 c measure is all added.  Then go ahead and stir in the delicious makers - butter and salt.


Step 3:  (the eating part)

And this is what you get!  I used a spoon for tasting and then I fell to the ground in a delicious coma.  AM-freaking-AZING.  Seriously, it's that good.  You really should make this.  And if you don't want to, try to con someone else around you to do it for you.  Because now that you've read this, you cannot live life the same as before.  



No comments:

Post a Comment