Friday, June 24, 2011

Deliciously Delightful Bran Muffins


I've been eating these bran muffins for as long as I can remember - and making them since I could stir.  Over the years, I've had many roommates (and now husband) taste them and fall in love with them.  Why?  They're relatively healthy - and they taste like cake!  Literally - from roommates who were on Weight Watchers to men who could care less about fat and calories - these are loved by all.  So, by request - here are my grandmother's bran muffins.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:

2 c Kellogg's All Bran Buds
2 c Boiling Water
1 c Oleo (i.e. vegetable oil)
2 1/2 c Sugar
4 Eggs
1 qt Buttermilk (you can also use your regular milk and add some lemon juice to transition it)
4 c Fiber One
5 c Flour
5 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Salt

Okay - yet another simple recipe!  Start off by combining the All Bran Buds with the boiling water in a bowl.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, add 1 c oil and 2 c sugar.  Stir.  Add 4 eggs, one at a time and stir after adding each.  Add the buttermilk and Fiber One cereal, using a hand mixer to blend well to break up the cereal.  Next, add the water-soaked bran.  Blend again.

Finally, add the baking soda and salt.  Stir.  Add the flour, one cup at a time, stirring in between each cup. Let mixture sit for an hour to help the bran gain moisture.  Grease your muffin pans.  The batter should be enough for approximately 48 muffins.  Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full.  Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes.

Because this recipe makes so many (which makes me happy), I normally divide the batch and place some in freezer bags for later.   Depending on where you live, you can store them in a ziplock bag on the counter or in your refrigerator.  Enjoy plain or with butter and/or jam.

Bon Apetit!

3 comments:

  1. If I was to half the recipe, would it go horribly awry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind! I tried it and it was fine. Still made a lot!!! I'm glad I halved it. Definitely delicious though, thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
    2. So glad it worked out! I love them and now my toddler does too.

      Delete