Sunday, June 27, 2010

Easy Sunday Dinners: Chicken Enchiladas - Guaranteed to Satisfy Your Pickiest Eater or Critic


Looking for another easy Sunday dinner?  What can I say?  I like simplicity.  Call it laziness, call it a lack of time - you can put whatever word to it you'd like.

I started making these chicken enchiladas ten years ago.  I don't remember how they came about but I had a college roommate from Namibia who became obsessed with them and implored me to make them at least once a week for her.  Some foods have the ability to not be bound by culture.  There is a universal comfort to be found in this dish.  Probably something to do with all the cream and carbs.  The best thing about this dish is that it is totally customizable for picky eaters.  I've never had a single picky eater turn their nose up at this dish and my husband, who doesn't eat leftovers, always happily eats these two days later.

Okay, ready?  Now, this is by no means gourmet, so if you're going to judge, judge now.  However, it is a cheap meal, an easy meal, and a delicious meal.  This is one of those meals that when you bite into it, you're transformed to a warm, happy place where you're stresses and troubles are temporarily drowned.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Get out your basics:

Here's your "need" list:

6 tortillas (I used burrito size but you can use whatever you have)
2-4 cups shredded cheese
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups milk or cream
1 can diced green chiles
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts
salt & pepper

You can also add:
1 clove garlic
1 chopped red or green pepper
cayenne pepper
whatever else floats your boat



 Chop the chicken breasts into small pieces.  In your pan, add a couple tablespoons of olive oil, the chicken, and the can of green chiles.


 Cook on medium until the chicken is cooked through.  This time I also chose to add a crushed clove of garlic.


Add one can of cream of chicken and some milk.  I don't actually measure the milk - I just add however much I think looks right.  If you want thicker enchiladas you'll limit your milk.  I probably add around a cup or a cup and a half this round.  Add salt and pepper to taste - I also tossed in a little cayenne as well. Let it simmer until creamy and evenly mixed.


Now you're ready to assemble.  Take a 9X13 baking dish and spray with with non-stick cooking spray.  Take out your first tortilla and lay a large scoop of your creamy chicken smack dab on top of that tortilla.  You can add cheese inside if you want them super cheesy.  I opted out this time.  Then roll, baby, roll.


Roll six times - or however many times you feel like.  You can adjust your tortilla/filling ratio according to your own desire.


 Now take your second can of cream of chicken and your remaining milk/cream and heat over the stove using the same pan from  before (so you can use any remaining goodness).   Once this is heated evenly, dump it on top of the tortillas and schmear to even it out.  Finally, dump shredded cheese on top.

Cover with tin foil (or don't) and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.  If you want, at the end set your oven to broil and let it roast the top for a minute.

Voila!


 And I'm hungry again.  Too bad this yummy dish is back in Utah and I am not any longer.  The things we do for those we love.  An entire pan of acceptable leftovers for a non-leftover eating person.

Bon Apetit!




2 comments:

  1. Ah yes. One my standbys as well. I had a roommate from Taiwan that became obsessed with sour cream. She would make baked potatoes just so she could load it with sour cream. So random, haha.
    I'll have to try your recipe next time I do enchiladas. The pictures look SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: Crave Healthiness

    ReplyDelete